Saturday 26 July 2014


The Early Days
of The 7th Marine Battalion

Second Lieutenant Nguyen Khac Thinh

After I graduated from the Thu Duc Military School for Reserve Officers, I was transferred to the Marine Corps. I was given 15 days after graduation to visit my family in Nha Trang. After the break, I reported to the personnel office of the Marine Division on Le Thanh Ton Street. I was immediately transferred to the training centre in Rung Cam, Thu Duc, for continuing education for new officers. The commander of the training centre was Lieutenant Colonel Pham Van Chung. The course ran for 21 days, after which the thirty three new officers were distributed to different Marine battalions. Warrant Officer Minh and me were transferred to the “Manpower Supply Group” on September 25th 1969 which was at the Marine Training Centre.
On November 11th 1969, the 7th Marine Battalion was formed. I was appointed leader of the 3rd platoon. The 7th Battalion officers were:
- Major Pham Nha, the Commander.
- Captain Tran Xuan Quang, Executive  Officer.
- First Lieutenant Ton That Tran,  Command and Services Company  Commander.
- Dr Nguyen Trung Khanh, Chief of the Medical Platoon.
- Warrant Officer Pho, Chief of the  Mortar Platoon. 
- Captain Tran Ba, 1st Company  Commander.
- First Lieutenant Duc, 2nd Company  Commander. 
- First Lieutenant Su, 3rd Company  Commander. 
- Captain Thanh, 4th Company  Commander.
The emblem of the Battalion was orange with the name in black embroidery. The manpower of the 1st and 4th Companies of the new battalion was composed of new recruits. The 2nd Company was transferred as a whole from the 2nd Marine battalion. The 3rd Company was also transferred en masse from the 3rd Marine Battalion. Thus the 7th Battalion had two experienced companies and two new ones.
The base camp was temporarily located at the rear of the Marine Corps Training Centre. In the beginning, the officers of the Battalion had to teach the soldiers fighting techniques. Afterwards, the battalion was moved to the Van Kiep Training Centre in Ba Ria Province, where they received further training on tactical manoeuvres, on how to coordinate with artillery and air fire supports, and how to attack an enemy situated in a higher position.
From the Van Kiep Training Centre, they moved to the base camp of the “Killer Sharks” - the 4th Battalion - to gain more tips on fighting skills. We also received training on board the VNN LST ships, so that we could acquire our sea legs in readiness for amphibious operations. We practised on the back beach of Vung Tau, and in the fir forest further inland.
The practice operation involved officers and soldiers climbing down the net ladders hanging off the sides of the LST ships, to the LCVP. The landing crafts would then take us to shore, where upon we landed to assault the conifir forest beyond. After the training period, we were permitted R & R. It happened that the R & R coincided with the Lunar New Year - the Year of the Chicken.
It was the first new year for me as a fighter Captain Tran Ba, the commander of the 1st Rifle Company, a graduate of the “Enfant de Troupe” (Child of the Troop) Training School, set up a simple alter for his deceased parents that new year. Seeing his tears as he knelt before the altar, the officers around him were deeply moved. I became quite emotional too, and shed tears along with him. We Marines always considered our own lives as being dispensible for the nation, and that death would be as light as a wisp of smoke. But one thing that was rock solid was our bond - our loyalty towards our brothers-in-arms.
After the three days of New Year, the 7th Battalion moved back to Rung Cam, Thu Duc, where a new base camp had been built. It was close to the Marine Corps Training Centre. and the 1st Marine Battalion's base.
On the 7th day of the new year, the 7th Battalion moved to IV Corps as a reinforcement unit. The convoy transported the Battalion to My Thuan Ferry port. Realizing that the wait would be long, I asked Captain Tran Ba for permission to cross first by myself to visit Vinh Long, where my girlfriend at the time lived.
She was deeply moved, and very happy to see me. Used to seeing me in my civilian clothes she said:
“I'm so happy to see you, but you are so different - the tiger-stripe uniform makes you look so fierce!” “Really?”
I did not have time to linger, so hurriedly said goodbye to her soon after. As I rushed away, she yelled after me:
“I hope to see you when you pass by on your return!”
The convoy was ferried across the river, then was driven to Can Tho Ferry Port. At that time, all ferries had been ordered to give priority of passage to the military. Thus civilian vehicles, buses, and trucks, had to wait until the convoy had passed. We arrived at the city of Can Tho, in Phong Dinh Province, where the headquarters of IV Corps was positioned. From there, the 7th Marine Battalion was airlifted by helicopter to U Minh to replace the 2nd Marine Battalion - the “Crazy Buffaloes”. In the U Minh area, the 7th Battalion carried out many operations. The terrain was tough - with many waterways, rivers, and mangrove swamps. The Marines were spent most of their days immersed in mud and water up to their waists.
One of the operations involved attacking an enemy logistical dump. The Marines dislodged the VC, and seized a large cache of weapons: recoiless rifles, cannons, and personal weapons. It took the helicopters of IV Corps two continuous days to transport all of the weapons. For this operation, the 7th Battalion was honoured by the ARVN for the first time, and I received my first medal - the silver star.
In March 1970, the 7th Marine Battalion was ordered to participate in the Cambodian incursion. We moved to Chau Doc, where we boarded the VNN's LCU, to sail along the Mekong to Cambodia. These kinds of boats were awfully slow, and the engines were extremely loud. It was impossible to hear the person beside you speak. After a day and night, the fleet entered Cambodian territory at 2.00pm. We landed at Neak Luong Ferry Port. The officer who welcomed us was Captain Tran Xuan Quang. He was our old executive officer, but now he was a “Killer Shark”. He was very welcoming. The 7th Marine Battalion was to evolve around the Neak Luong region. Unlike the Cambodian troops who camped in the low positions by the river, we chose vantage points to facilitate observation and to benefit from the tactical advantage.
The Cambodians lived in houses on stilts above the water. The streets were occupied mainly by chinese merchants who sold consumer products.
After a week in Neak Luong, Captain Tran Ba appointed me to ensure the security of Panam and the Panam bridge, so that the Cambodian people could use it safely.
On May 14th 1970, all units of the 7th Battalion gathered in Neak Luong to be airlifted by helicopter to Kompong Cham, which was under siege from the NVA. The NVA shelled us while we were landing, then attacked as soon as we touched down. The Battalion had foreseen this event so we were prepared to fight the whole afternoon. When night fell, the NVA exploited the darkness to attack with their human waves. The 7th Battalion fought back fiercely, repelling all their charges. They could not gain a metre throughout the night, and when morning came, they retreated, leaving behind numerous bodies and weapons. The battalion seized all the weapons, and went in pursuit. The 1st Company made up the right prong. High on the previous night's victory, I rushed forwards. An NVA soldier at the rear of their column turned and shot at me.
The lower half of my body was riddled with bullets. My lower limbs became numb, and I lost sensation. I grabbed the radio handset to call Captain Tran Ba, but my right hand was hit by enemy fire. I dropped the hand set. Blood spurted forth from my wounds, and I fell into a coma.
Seven days later, I woke up to excruciating pain, and realized that I had survived. I asked the nurse where I was, and was informed that I was at Long Xuyen Hospital. The doctors had done an amazing job at keeping me alive. I stayed there for nearly a month, and then the Marine Corps arranged for me to be moved to the Le Huu Sanh Marine Hospital. From Long Xuyen Hospital I was taken by ambulance to Vinh Long to the My Thuan Ferry Port. Seeing the ambulance, several curious passengers approached and looked in. As fate would have it, my girlfriend was amongst them. Peering in, she was startled to see that it was me. She became very distraught, and enquired whether my injuries were life-threatening or not. I smiled and said:
“I've fulfilled my duty, and now I'm going home to you.”
The ferry stopped. She said she was studying in Saigon, and asked me where she could visit me. “At the Le Huu Sanh Hospital.” I replied. The ambulance sped off and delivered me to the the hospital which was in Cuu Long Camp at Thi Nghe, Saigon.
There, I received further treatment, and was given a wheelchair. Everyday, after school, she came to visit and comfort me. She would push my wheelchair to the small park around the hospital and we would spend hours talking. We reminded each other of the wonderful memories we had together at Vinh Long. Those afternoons brought great comfort to me, and soothed my pain. Slowly, I regained the use of my lower limbs through rehabilitation. Then, the medical committee categorized me into Category 3 i.e those to be demobilized. I was transfered to Central Personnel Management in Saigon on October 28th 1970.
Then I had to make a difficult decision. I thought of my disabled body, and then I thought of her bright future and her studies. I couldn't let her sacrifice everything for me and my welfare. It was too selfish. So I asked to be transferred to my native town of Nha Trang, without telling her. I left no trace behind. On November the 1st, 1970, I went to the 2nd Personnel Management Centre in Nha Trang.
On September 10th 1971, I was examined by the Demobilization Council at Nha Trang. The Medical Committee confirmed my disability grading as 70% and gave me a monthly pension so that I could live out my days. I also received ninety days of paid vacation.
On December 26th 1971, I officially bid the Marine Corps goodbye, and ended my life as a fighter. Thus, number 1019/TTM/ND, was officially crossed off the unit personnel book and the ARVN records on the 17th of December. I returned to civilian life with my misshapen body, but my heart and soul felt as if a weight had been lifted. I had fulfilled my duty and responsibility to my country... I had given the best of me to the Republic of Vietnam.
“You can bring me out of the army, 
But you can never tear the Army out of me.”

Second Lieutenant Nguyen Khac Thinh



No comments:

Post a Comment