Wednesday 30 July 2014

“An Enthusiastic Reporter"

First Lieutenant Van Tan Thach

One day, while we were stationed about 400m from the Old Citadel of Quang Tri, my Company Commander informed me that I was to chaperone an American reporter around so that he could safely gather information. The eager and enthusiastic reporter presented, red-faced from carrying a heavy bag. I introduced him to the men in my platoon, then led him around to show him the enemy positions. Finally, I showed him a position from which he could photograph the enemy on the ramparts of the Citadel. After he took the pictures, he gave me the thumbs up sign and told me that he was going to write a series of original articles to go with the pictures. He assured me that he was going to include a photo of me. It was already 3.00pm, so I advised him to leave before it became too dangerous.
“Two more, then I'll leave”, he said “OK”.
I pointed out another VC on the Citadel for him to photograph. Looking through the long telelens, he saw something that was obviously of interest to him. He waved me over. I bent my head near his to take a peek. Our heads were barely 20cm apart. Suddenly I felt a sharp burning sensation in my ear. There was a crack, followed by an explosion. Everything happened in a flash, and I was caught totally off guard. A round from an M79 (that had obviously been taken from our side) exploded 2m from where we stood. Stones, bricks, and sand flew everywhere.
It was a miracle that neither of us were hurt. Traumatized by his close shave, the reporter fainted with relief and fell in a heap. He was motionless for at least 5 minutes. His face was ashen on recovery, and he was so shocked he lost his ability to speak. All he could muster was a handshake. I ordered a Marine to lead him back. I wondered whether he would quit field reporting. His complexion on departure was a totally different shade from the one when he arrived. I wished him all the best, and prayed for the poor traumatized man.
First Lieutenant Van Tan Thach








No comments:

Post a Comment