Saturday 26 July 2014


The Medical Platoon of the 7th Marine Battalion in Operation Lam Son 719

Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Van The

At the beginning 1971, my Marine Medical Battalion received orders to accompany Marine Division in a large scale operation. My Medical Battalion was airlifted to MRI, participating in operation Lam Son 719.
First Sergeant Phuoc, the senior medic of the 7th Marine Battalion had presented himself to me before the Battalion moved to Ai Tu. He said: "Doctor, I had served a long time in a combating unit. Please, transfer me to a rear base or to Hospital Le Huu Sanh, so I can live near my family!" I answered: "Phuoc! We are going into operation! There was no time for that transfer! Try to go on operation just one more time, and then afterwards I will transfer you."
The 7th Marine Battalion was one of the units being helilifted into South Laos. The Battalion was commanded by Major Pham Nha. Dr. Anh was the Battalion Doctor, chief of medical platoon. I still recalled that on 13-3-1971, a NVA rocket fell right on top of the bunker of that medical platoon, inside a Fire base in South Laos. Dr. Anh was wounded, and lost an eye. Some medics were also wounded. First Sergeant Phuoc died instantly.
I still miss and recall Phuoc until now.
      Lt-Colonel Nguyen Van The







No comments:

Post a Comment