Wednesday 30 July 2014

Crushing the Enemy

Major Tran Ve

Following their defeat at the old citadel, the NVA had left behind hundreds of bodies, still more weapons. The survivors then withdrew out of Quang Tri and headed to Cua Viet, north of the Thach Han river, and north east of Trieu Phong. One of their most important supply routes was located in this area. South of Cua Viet, for about 5km along Route 555, the Communists still had strong outposts. Civilians populated the area, thus we had but limited use of our artillery since we were reluctant to cause damage and deaths in civilian areas. In the advance on Cua Viet, Marine units had to advance slowly to destroy each of the enemy outposts without harming civilians.
At that time, the 5th Marine Battalian was having a R & R in My Thuy. It was not really a period of repose for we were busy regrouping for a new operation. Seeing my Battalion Commander - Ho Quang Lich, running to and fro for two continuous days, I knew that it was going to be a tough operation. I was told that Lang Son (the radio code name for Brigadier General Bui The Lan, Commandant of Marine Division) was upset because we had had difficulty in destroying the enemy outposts south of Cua Viet. It seemed that he was cooking up a plan to rout the enemy from there. Ho Quang Lich returned from a meeting in the Brigade Headquarters at noon that day. He summoned me and all the other Company Commanders for an urgent briefing. Quang Dung (Lich's radio code name) indicated on a map in front of him.
“The Great Eagle doesn't want any leniency with the enemy outposts along route 555 - he wants their heads hammered right in.”
Turning to me Lich said, “Our battalion is to be divided in half: one is to attack from the south heading northwards, the other is to be airlifted to the north and once there is to begin the assault southwards.”
I started. Then mumbled to myself. “Uh oh. Looks like I'll be on the receiving end of some 130mm artillery rounds again.”
Lich smiled. “Relax. We'll confuse the enemy. Lang Son is having you airlifted towards the south first, then towards the sea. And then only at a fixed time will they drop you down... to nail the enemy, who will not have had any time to react.”
I nodded. “So who's to accompany me, Great Eagle?”
Quang Dung said “Huu and Giao will fly out with you.”
I grinned, content now. “OK. So the trio are to perform the act.”
Ever since I had been assigned the position of Battalion Executive Officer, I had become very close friends with two of the Company Commanders, Huu and Giao. We made a triumvirate in all matters, from “business” to pleasure.
The Battalion finished preparations early the next morning. Huu, Giao and I discussed the landing. It was decided that the plan would be as follows. Ten helicopters would airlift the two Companies out, coming and going as long as necessary. Quang Dung would fly in the Command & Control helicopter. If my Bravo Command Group encountered severe resistance, then Quang Dung's Alpha Command Group would be airlifted in. If everything ran according to plan, Quang Dung would, from the south, lead the northbound attack. I was of the opinion that we should not employ the usual method of airlifting: instead of dropping the troops off en masse at the two points north and south of the target, I felt that we would be more successful in confusing the enemy if the Companies were dropped off alternately. For instance, if the first helicopter airlifted troops to the northern point, then the second helicopter should drop off the south bound troops. The third helicopter should drop off the troops destined for the northern point, the fourth should then head south, and so on. - By mixing up the directions of the drop off points, the enemy would not be able to work out in which direction lay our principal target.
Huu and I were to head out in the first wave, but in the 3rd helicopter. Giao was also to head out in the first wave, but he would be dropped off at the other point. I told them both to take flags, one red and one green, which our troops could recognise to prevent anyone from getting lost. The Marines landing in the first wave had been told to deploy immediately on the sand dunes close to the sea shore. They were to fire constantly to brow beat the enemy. They had to remember to disperse though, to avoid enemy artillery.
The helicopters took off on time. Though the target of our attack was north, the helicopters headed south first on the circuitous route which we had agreed to take in order to confuse the enemy. Sitting in the southbound helicopter, I looked down admiring the beauty of the lush green rice fields which stretched out and into the distance. The soil of Route 555 was red in colour; from above we could see that both sides of the red ribbon was pockmarked from bombardment and artillery rounds. My body guard tapped my hand and pointed at two cars heading south - from the helicopter they were the size of match boxes. I nodded smiling. It was the jeeps carrying the girls who had come to the base to congratulate the Battalion and give out chains of flowers and other congratulatory trinkets. Suddenly my signalman passed me the headset.
A female voice spoke. “Great Eagle Vung Tau, can you hear me?”
“Yes”, I replied. “What is it?”
“I just want to wish Great Eagle Vung Tau a safe trip.”
I recognised her voice. Yesterday one of the girls, whilst winding a congratulatory violet coloured scarf around my neck, had said those very same words to me. I had replied “I'm not the Battalion's Great Eagle.” She had laughed, her beautiful eyes crinkling. Then she had said “You are the Great Eagle of my heart.”
Her voice sounded so clear right now over the radio; my heart flooded with warmth and I felt secure and strangely comforted. “OK. Thank you. And for my part, I hope you sleep well during your journey back to town.”
The helicopters changed direction and headed out to sea. The two small jeeps headed further and further away. I made radio contact with Quang Dung, Huu, and Giao. The drove of helicopters made several large circles above the sea. Then, falling into a row, they advanced inland simultaneously. I told my guys, that I would wave my hand when the right moment came - and when I did they were to be ready. We caught sight of white stretches of sand. The helicopters landed and we jumped down quickly. Before we had gained firm footing the helicopters had flown away.
I ran to the 1st squad of the 1st company, which had been advancing in a phalanx to occupy the sand dune in front of us. At that very instant we heard the sounds of the enemy's artillery positioned at Ai Tu: they had seen our landing, and were attempting to stop our advance... but to no avail for the first wave's landing had long since been completed. From the high sand dunes which we now occupied, we had a clear view of the bamboo hedge surrounding the target village. The Marines fired unceasingly. I had assured them that we did not want for ammunition, for the last wave from the airlift were bringing in more supplies. From inside the village the enemy fired back, aiming at our left flank with their 82mm recoiless rifles. Gradually the sound of their fire weakened. The rats were probably scurrying away, I thought. Just as I began to wonder where the rest of our troops were, the second wave arrived. 15 minutes later, the entire landing was complete, for the helicopters did not bother with the circuitous route towards the end of the airlift, as the issue of surprising the enemy was no longer a factor that had to be considered..
Turning my head I saw smoke rising from the enemy's shelling. After the landing the Marines had dispersed immediately, so relatively little harm had been done. Thanks to the coloured flags, the Marines recognised their Company's position easily, and thus gathered in the shortest of time.
I ordered the 1st Company to occupy the border of the village. Disregarding the danger of crossing a stretch of land, completely bare of cover, two of Huu's platoons quickly captured the target. The sound of gunfire only stirred their blood further. Five minutes later, Huu reported that he had complete control of the village border, and that all enemy bunkers had been invaded. He shouted happily over the radio.
“I've got their 82mm recoiless rifle!”
“Just leave it there for now,” I replied. “Giao will collect it. Don't give the rats a chance to flee.”
“Vung Tau, there are some houses in front of us. Could you tell Giao to fire some 60mm mortars on them so we can advance?”
I passed on his request to Giao. When the mortars stopped, I heard the 1st Company yelling “Charge! Charge!” Then I ordered Giao's company to follow Huu's closely. Following that, I gave Quang Dung an update on our progress. Over the radio I heard him laugh.
“OK Vung Tau. You performed brilliantly, all of you. Great Eagle Lang Son has been following your progress, and has praised all of your efforts. Keep up the good work! Don't let the enemy get away.”
The 1st Company destroyed a few more strongholds, and amassed a few more weapons. I ordered Huu to pull up a moment, and to let Giao's Company overtake in the pursuit of the NVA. In that “leap-frogging” rhythm, my Bravo Command Group continued to drive the Communists southwards. The enemy had no retreating route - they had not considered the possibility that we might attack them from the north. We demolished them. The following day, the Bravo Command Group met up with Quang Dung's Alpha Command Group.
We duly liberated the civilians whom the Communists had controlled these last few months. For days and nights these civilians had lived in the fear of being killed in the cross fire. Now they were free. Crowds of men, women, children, and even the elderly ran out to shake our hands, saying their thank yous repeatedly. Quang Dung told me to have the Companies distribute canned food to the villages. The Battalion would give the troops extra supplies later.
I reviewed the condition of the units. We were happy to see the pile of weapons which had been seized, although this sentiment quickly evaporated on seeing wounded Marines being medevacuated, amongst them two platoon leaders; it was positively painful to see the Marines who had been killed. That was war, and you had to take the heartbreak as well as the victories.
Although I had not slept for some nights, I had trouble sleeping that night. I mused about the war, wondering when it would end so that South Vietnamese people could be reunited with their loved ones and live peacefully with their families. I was filled with hate for the cruel Communists who had brought the war to South Vietnam, and consequently ruining our country.
Even now as I pen these words I am filled with a deep hatred for them. They have continued in their inhumane fashion, and have established a communist dictatorship based on cruelty. Even during the years which I spent years in their prisons, until now when I am living in a foreign country, I still hope and long for a free and independent Vietnam. I strongly believe that sooner or later, the enemy will crumble and collapse; then, freedom and democracy can come to our people. 
Major Tran Ve




No comments:

Post a Comment