Saturday 26 July 2014


Recalling Days in Giong Trom

Major Tran Ve

At the end of the year 1969, the 4th Marine Battalion was under the command of Brigade B and performed operations in the Western Region of South Vietnam. The 4th Marine Battalion staff consisted of:
- Commander : Major Vo Kinh
- Executive Officer : Captain Nguyen Dang Hoa
- G3 Chief : Captain Tran Van Chi
- Headquarters Company Commander : Captain Nguyen Van Thach
- Company 1 Commander : Captain Pham Cang
- Company 2 Commander : 1st Lieutenant Nguyen Van Quang
- Company 3 Commander : 1st Lieutenant Tu Duc Tho
- Company 4 Commander : Captain Tran Ve
(Who had just come back from the United States of America after having basic US Marine Corps training and was appointed to replace Captain Tran Xuan Quang. The latter became  the Executive Officer of the 7th Marine Battalion).
The 4th Marine Battalion performed operations according to the orders of Brigade B, in numerous places from My Tho, Cai Lay to Ben Tre, Giong Trom, Ba Tu, then from Long Xuyen to U Minh Rach, like a shark in the East Sea.  The Battalion used to be allowed to have a rest once every three months, in the Rear Base at Vung Tau.  
There were many souvenirs, both joyful and sad, in this period of time. The Battalion had their fame with victories in a circle, Can Tho, Rach Rau Ram, Kinh Dau Sau, Rach Nuoc Trong, Vi Thanh, Hoa Luu etc, and suffered losses of courageous fighters such as Phan Nhu Don, Nguyen van Nghiem, Le Xuan Loc, Hao, Nguyen van Nhung etc… These friends sacrificed their lives in operations and caused us to miss them with great pity.
The operation in Giong Trom left an unforgettable impression on me. The Battalion headquarters positioned themselves about one kilometre east of Giong Trom district. Companies searched and destroyed VC.  This is an area of "peanut-glutinous rice" where guerrillas very successfully caused trouble due to the terrain being very complex with scattered houses close to their sanctuaries.   Those conditions facilitated their withdrawal when being pursued after they had set mines or booby traps in the roads. 
Every five days, two companies departed from Provincial Road 15, travelled in two different directions towards large rivers and searched out VC in rice fields, remote villages or in immense water-coconut forests. After that period of time they would be replaced by the other two companies.  
Company 4 had 1st Lieutenant Phan Tan Cam as executive officer. 3rd Lieutenant Nguyen Van Nhung, 3rd Lieutenant Nguyen Van Lam and 3rd Lieutenant Tran Tan Tai were platoon leaders of the Company.
During the aforementioned periods of rest, I used to invite platoon leaders to have breakfast (on me) in a shop at Giong Trom market.  Next to it was a book and newspapers store.  The owner had 2 daughters, aged about seventeen or eighteen, who were attending Giong Trom High School.  They helped their parents to run that business whenever they had free time.  
After breakfasts, we used to enter that newsagent, not to buy newspapers of books, but mainly to flirt with the girls.  In these moments, Nhung used to be shy, stood a little bit further away from them and didn't participate in the conversations lead by other officers.  It seemed like a routine.  But one day, after returning from an operation, I was sitting and reviewing all official telegrams from the Battalion headquarters when Nhung entered. He embarrassingly handed a pile of newspapers to me and said, "Captain, Miss Mi sent these to you".  I was surprised and asked him to bring my money to her to pay.  But he stopped me, saying, "Oh No!  she offered them to you!"  After those words, he hurriedly walked out and Ke, my bodyguard, looked at me and smiled.  He said "Mr Nhung succeeded in courting her".
"Why so quickly?" I asked surprised. Ke laughed and replied, "Sir, that's the way Marines do it!".
Since then, whenever I pass by that newsagent, I always entered it and asked, "Miss Diem Mi, where is Nhung?"  Her face reddened and she replied honestly, "Sir, he just came in, picked up newspapers and walked out and was playing Billiard with Mr Tai and Mr Lam over there!" (that is one occasion, but it says every time, needs to be fixed up a little). Sometimes Nhung lead his platoon to organise an ambush, I went to the market alone.  Mi always asked me, "Captain, why is Mr Nhung not coming?" 
I jokingly smile and told her, "yesterday he behaved wrongly so I punished him. A 100 per centum restriction in camp, not allowing him to go to the streets."
Mi begrudgingly replied, "My God! Pity for him! Captain, please be lenient and release him".  I laughed heartily for having been able to fathom the depth of bond between the two young lovers.  
When public holidays came close, VC had their customary tactics by setting mines and traps.  Intelligence information reported that the previous night VC had intruded into villages to collect taxes from civilians and had boasted that they would attack Giong Trom district to celebrate the 1st of May (Labour Day).
In these days, on our side, units were always keeping their guards, expanding areas of operation to search out VC. Company 4 was in charge of South West district. Platoons 1 and 2 crossed the departure line in a transversal row. The Company headquarters followed Platoon 1, then heavy weapons platoon and platoon 3 after that.
Platoon 1 encounted VC when it came close to a water-coconut forest's edge. Approximately one kilometre from the departure line.  Nhung reported by radio that his platoon had been trying to occupy that target. I reminded him to enlarge his formation so as to avoid damages by mines. At the same time, I requested the Battalion headquarters to be prepared for supporting with 81mm mortars, and I gave Coordinates to Artillery.
VC and there were many fires. Platoon 1 exchanged fires. Nhung reported, "Sir, three VC were captured and five are running to the left."  I requested for the 81mm mortars to fire on the left side to block the VC retreat, and then ordered Platoon 3 to continue to follow-up. Shootings continued. Nhung's platoon advanced and persisted to search.  He reported, "Target occupied.  Two captured inside of a bunker, four AK-47, one middle machine gun, a radio and documents have been seized."
I ordered him to comb the region and expand safe areas. Then I progressed forward with my Headquarters Company and a squad of Platoon 3 towards Platoon 1's position. When I reached the water-coconut forest edge, I heard a loud explosion in the direction of Platoon 1.  I felt, by my sixth sense, that a disastrous event had occurred.  
I grabbed my radio handset and called, "Non Nuoc! This is Vung Tau! Report to me, what was it?" A complete silence ensued.  There was no answer through the radio.  I ran forward and a tragic scene lay before my eyes.  3rd Lieutenant Nhung, his RTO (radio telephone operator) and two other soldiers had been wounded.  The vice platoon leader, Sergeant Binh, ran towards me and said, "3rd Lieutenant  Nhung stepped on a 105 mm mine.  His lower limbs were severed.  His condition is very critical." 
I was stunned.  I stepped towards him and raised his head into my hands.  He opened his eyes and whisperingly reported, "Captain, we killed four VC, captured two VC and seized five weapons.  Oh! It hurts so much!"  I looked down at his legs.  They were completely severed, tendons lacerated, full of blood. I clapped lightly on his shoulders and said, "Try to endure! I will call a medevac helicopter right now."
Ten minutes had past when the helicopter arrived.  On the way, while being transported to the Landing Zone, Nhung whispered to me, "It's likely that I will not survive. Captain! Please give me a coup de graĆ¢ce". 
"Don't speak ominous words to me! I'll tell Diem Mi to welcome you at Hospital," I replied.  
Other wounded were subsequently brought inside the helicopter.  The noise from its motor dulled as it flew further into the distance.  However, I still stood their like a pole.  I asked myself, "Was it a reality that I had lost Nhung? Five fighters were out of combat.  Who will be next? What that little girl would become while their love had been just, like a flower, opened?"  I was lost in reflection, not knowing how long past by at that moment.  Suddenly my RTO asked, "Captain, shall we continue to move now?" Having snapped back to reality, I ordered the vice platoon leader to replace Nhung and reorganise troops.  Platoon 3 continued to advance in the operation.
In the late afternoon, after having camped, I was informed by the Battalion Commander that Nhung has expired his last breath just when the helicopter had arrived in hospital.  Other wounded were in stable and optimistic conditions.  I was stunned and felt a burning sensation in my eyes.  I had witnessed numerous sacrifices that day.  Fighting with a unit like mine, each time we went into operation we suffered human losses.
Since then, whenever my company were having a rest, one did not dare to visit Giong Trom market, because I would be very sad if I would meet that little girl with her heart broken from the war.
One day, while I was controlling marines in their cleaning of weapons, Diem Mi arrived.  She burst into tears when she saw me. I lead her into the Company office and said, "Miss Mi! Please don't shed tears anymore. Nhung has accomplished his duty of a boy in war time. He deserved to be a beloved son of our nation. Mi, be proud of having your lover who had sacrificed for the nation. The war will be prolonged, and many other lovers will die like your own.  Please pray for Nhung so that he can rest in eternal peace."
Major Tran Ve

No comments:

Post a Comment